Anti Ragging zone
GOVERNMENT OF TELANGANA ABSTRACT
TECHNICAL EDUCATION â Prohibition of ragging in all Educational Institutions in the state of Andhra Pradesh â Framing of Andhra Pradesh Prohibition of ragging in all Educational Institutions Rules â Issued.
HIGHER EDUCATION (EC) DEPARTMENT G.O.Ms.No. 67 Dated: 31-08-2002
Read the following
Honâble High court judgement dt. 11-9-1997 in W.P.No. 26132/96 and W.P.No. 27623/96.
Andhra Pradesh Act No. 26 of 1997.
Honâble Supreme Court order dt: 4-5-2001 in W.P.(Civil) No. 656/1998.
D.O.No. F.8-1/99 (CPP-II) Dt. 13-01-2000 of Secretary, Union Grants Commission, New Delhi.
From the CTE., AP., Hyd. letter No. H2/23358/2001, dt: 18-9-2000 & dt: 29-1-2002.
The following notification will be published in the Extraordinary issue of the Andhra Pradesh Gazette dated: 4th September, 2002.
In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (1) of section9, of the Andhra Pradesh prohibition of Ragging Act, 1997 (A.P. Act 26 of 1997) the Governor of Andhra Pradesh hereby makes the following rules relating to Prohibition of ragging in all Educational institutions in the state.
1) Short Title:-
These rules may be called the âAndhra Pradesh Prohibition of ragging in all Educational institutions Rules â 2002.
In these rules unless the context otherwise requires:-
a. âactâ includes words either spoken or written or signs or sounds or gestures or visible representation.
b. âeducational institutionsâ means and include a college or other Institution by whatever name called, carrying on the activity or imparting education therein (either exclusively or among other activities) and includes an orphanage or boarding home or hostel or tutorial Institution or other premises attached thereto.
c. âgovernmentâ means the state Government of Andhra Pradesh.
d. ânotificationâ means notification published in Andhra Pradesh Gazetted and the work ânotifiedâ shall be construed accordingly.
e. âraggingâ means doing an act which causes or is likely to cause insult or annoyance of fear or apprehension or threat of intimidation or outrage of modesty or injury to a student.
f. âstudentâ means a person who is admitted into an Educational Institution and whose name is lawfully borne on the attendance register thereof.
All words and expression used but not defined as these rules have meaning assigned to them under A.P. Education Act, 1982 or Indian Penal Code 1860 as the case may be.
3) Prohibition of ragging:-
a. Ragging is prohibited within or outside of any educational institution in the state.
b. The Principal/ Head of the institution shall obtain an undertaking in writing from the students/ parents at the time of admission, that they shall not resort to ragging inside or outside the Institution.
c. Full publicity should be given to the punishment for ragging through open circulars, suitable posters, colleges and hostel premises etc, by the Principal/ Head of the Institutions.
d. The Principal / Head of the institution shall constitute anti ragging squads involving teachers and students to prevent ragging.
e. The Head of the institution shall lodge a criminal case against students resorted to ragging for taking action as mentioned In Andhra Pradesh Prohibition of Ragging Act, 1997 (A.P. Act No. 26 of 1997).
Certain of the guidelines to prevent raging in educational institutions are illustrated in the annexure to these rules.
4) Responsibility of the Head of the Institution:-
1. At the commencement of the academic session, the institution should constitute a proctorial committee consisting of senior faculty members and hostel authorities like the warden and a few responsible senior students:
i. To keep 3 continuous watch and vigil over ragging so as to prevent its occurrence and recurrence.
ii. To promptly deal with the incidents of ragging brought to its notice and summarily punish the guilty either by itself or by putting-forth its finding/recommendation/ suggestions before the authority.
iii. Competent to take decision. All vulnerable locations shall be identified and specially watched.
2. The local community and the students in particular must be made aware of dehumanizing effect of ragging inherent in its perversity. Posters, notice boards and sign-boards- wherever necessary, may be used for the purpose.
3. Failure to prevent ragging shall be construed as an act of negligence in maintaining discipline in the institution on the part of the management, the principal and the persons in authority of the institution. Similar responsibility shall be liable to be fixed on hostel wardens/superintendents.
4. Whenever any student complains of ragging to the head of the Educational institution such head or manager shall enquire into the same forthwith and if the complaint is prima facie found true, shall suspend the student or students complained against for such period as may be deemed necessary.
5. The decision of the head of the Institution or the person responsible for the Management of the educational institution is final.
6. If an institution fails to curb ragging, the Funding Agency shall consider for stoppage of financial assistance to such an institution till such time as achieves the same. The University shall consider disaffiliating a college or institution failing to curb ragging. All Universities shall bring these guidelines to the notice of all educational institutions under their control and jurisdiction. Publicity may also be given by issuing press notes in public interest by Universities.
5) PENALTY FOR RAGGING:-
1. Whoever with the intention of causing ragging or with the knowledge that he is likely by such act to cause ragging, commits or abets ragging shall be punishable as per Andhra Pradesh Prohibition of Ragging Act, 1997 â (Act 26 of 1997).
2. The students convicted of an offence under section 4 of Andhra Pradesh Prohibition Act, 1997, (Act 26 of 1997) and punished with imprisonment for a term shall be dismissed from the educational institution.
3. The student convicted of an offence under section 4 of Andhra Pradesh Prohibition of Ragging Act, 1997, and punished with imprisonment for a term for more than six months shall no be admitted in any other educational institution.
4. Any student dismissed from a college for ragging should be debarred from seeking admission in any other course of study in any College/University located in the state.
5. In case of the students who involved in ragging, there shall be an embossment on his marks cards and other academic certificates in bold letters which cannot be obliterated that he had indulged in-raggin and had conducted himself in a manner unbecoming of student.